Hi, Neighbors. The Aleppo Township Board of Commissioners had a workshop meeting on Monday night and I wanted to let you know what happened.
Before I get to the digest of topics, let me address two subjects where we want some input from residents. Please consider these topics and respond accordingly:
- First, we discussed the creation of a “Citizens Budget Committee”. There are apparently divergent views on this topic. To paraphrase the two different schools of thought, Commissioner Jones thinks that citizen involvement is worthwhile in creating the budget. On the other hand, President Gartner thinks that it is the responsibility of the 5 elected commissioners to do the budget. Since we will be voting on this issue next week, we’d like to hear how Aleppo residents feel. So please click here to watch this portion of the meeting, hear both sides, and then click here to cast an advisory vote. I will heavily consider the results of the advisory voting in deciding how I will cast my vote next week and will share the results of the poll with the other commissioners as well.
- Second, we discussed the 2015-2016 police contract with Ohio Township. While all of the commissioners seemed inclined to renew the contract with Ohio Township, we want your input. So please!–click here to listen to this portion of the meeting and then let us know what you think … are you satisfied with out police protection? Are there services you think we should have but don’t?
As for the other topics, please click here to watch the meeting from its beginning. Or just click on the subject below that are of interest to you:
- We heard that our crack sealer has been sold at a great profit! Click here to watch this portion.
- We continued our conversation of the township’s investment strategy. Click here to watch this portion.
- We heard a request for a subdivision to permit residential development in the Weber’s Corner district. Click here to watch this portion.
- We discussed the township purchasing a replacement backhoe and questioned whether there was utility to buying used rather than new. Click here to watch this portion.
- We heard an initial report on the 2015 budget. Click here to watch this portion.
- We discussed Sewickley’s proposed Tap Fee to Aleppo residents. Click here to watch this portion.
- The Aleppo Township Authority explained that it anticipates requesting a loan from the township. Click here to watch this portion.
- We were updated about the landslide that threatens the township’s water supply. Click here to watch this portion.
- We discussed a merger of the township and the Aleppo Township Authority. Click here to watch this portion.
- We heard that our secretary is retiring and we discussed what we need to do to find her successor. Click here to watch this portion.
- I gave a detailed report about what I learned at the Allegheny County Association of Township Commissioners’ Fall Conference. Click here to watch this portion.
- We voted (5-0) to pay for our Township Manager to attend the QVCOG Annual Dinner and we voted (4-1) to sponsor a door prize for that event. Click here to watch this portion.
- We voted (5-0) to hold Aleppo Trick-Or-Treating from 6:00 P.M. to 8:00 P.M on October 31, 2014. Click here to watch this portion.
- We discussed changing the name of one of our roads to prevent confusion. Click here to watch this portion.
- We considered painting a center line on upper Sewickley Heights Drive. Click here to watch this portion.
If you have any thoughts on these issues, please feel free to let me know. Particularly, please remember to share your thoughts with us concerning our police protection and cast your advisory vote on the creation of the Citizens Budget Committee. And–of course–if you’d like to attend our next meeting, it will be on Monday, October 20, 2014 at 7:00 P.M. at the Municipal Building.
Aleppo Township Commissioner